Medical Advisor – HQ/Field
Personne de Contact: email@example.com
Date limite de candidature: 26/02/2019
Type d'offre: Contrat à durée déterminée
Volume de travail: Temps plein
Fonction: Gestion de projet, Santé
Lieu de l'emploi: HQ 30%, field 70%
Job Title: Medical Advisor
Duty station: HQ 30%, field 70%
Starting date: 01/03/2019
Contract duration: 2 years (3 month probation)
Reporting to: Head Medical Unit
Supervision of: Medical Coordinators, PMR, MAM
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an International Humanitarian Organisation with its HQ in Rome, a Branch office in Nairobi and a Representation office in Geneva. The organisational structure is comprised of the Secretary General’s office, the Departments of Programmes, Finance, Logistics/ICT, Fundraising/Communication, Human Resources and the Internal Audit office. INTERSOS is operational in 17 countries with over 2500 national and international staff worldwide.
INTERSOS assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
The present organisational structure of INTERSOS Programmes Department is made of a team of one Director of Programmes, five Regional Directors, four Deputy Regional Directors, a Senior Protection Advisor, the Medical Unit, and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Medical Advisor is part of INTERSOS Medical Unit, participates in defining, planning and monitoring medical activities and programs in both the HQ (30%) and the field (70%), in accordance with INTERSOS 3 years medical strategy.
Main responsibilities and tasks
In collaboration with INTERSOS Medical Unit and the Programs Department, the Medical Advisor will plan, implement and monitor health & nutrition activities in line with established work plans and INTERSOS internal protocols. The above will include:
- He/she is the focal point for medical (& medical ethical) issues of the mission/project under his/her supervision. He/she is responsible for implementing and adapting the medical policies, medical strategies, medical guidelines, medical standards and tools in INTERSOS projects;
- He/she participates in the strategic decision making platforms regarding programs’ strategies and implementation;
- He/she is responsible for the quality of medical supplies for projects under her/his supervision. He/she supervises an efficient management of INTERSOS field pharmacy and medical equipment (including emergency stock), in conjunction with the Logistics Department, and monitors consumption, follow-up and preparation of medical orders;
- He/she conducts in depth needs assessments and exploratory missions in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs;
- In line with strategies and medical priorities, he/she contributes to the design of the technical part of project proposals to be submitted to international donors and private foundations;
- He/she ensures that medical data are gathered, checked, analyzed and interpreted. He/she is responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting, to ensure a proper monitoring of the programs and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs;
- In the framework of emergency interventions, he/she monitors activity in different medical specialties, and provides technical support to medical personnel in the field through his/her competences and policies;
- He/she supervises, coordinates and trains health staff under his/her supervision in the field in order to support and improve their performances and to strengthen health and nutritional component of programmes, making sure that protocols are respected and the strategy is understood;
- He/she follows up on some specific dossiers and requests, as requested by INTERSOS Head of Medical Unit.
Degree in medicine or other paramedical studies (nurse/midwife). Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health.
Minimum 2 years relevant work experience as Medical focal point in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors: proposal writing, compliance and reporting
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Strategic Vision
- Service Orientation
- Good/In-depth knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Principles and minimum standards.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written in English and/or French; Italian (desirable)
- Previous experience in developing and implementing M&E activities (desirable)
Proficient knowledge of English and/or French is required.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
- Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships
- Ability to work in austere and hostile environments
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with subject line: "SR-00-898 - Medical Advisor – HQ/Field ".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.