Head of Base / Solid Waste Management Project Manager –
Personne de Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date limite de candidature: 22/11/2018
Type d'offre: Contrat à durée déterminée
Volume de travail: Temps plein
Fonction: Gestion de projet
Lieu de l'emploi: Tyre - South Lebanon
Job Title: Head of Base / Solid Waste Management Project Manager
Duty station: Tyre - South Lebanon
Starting date: 01/01/2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Program Coordinator for the project related component Head of mission for the Base management
Supervision of: 3 National Staffs Implemented in partnership with the Local NGO Arcenciel and the Milan University
General context of the project
The influx of Syrian refugees in Lebanon (about 1.5 million from 2011) has increased the population by 30%, increased poverty, worsened hygiene conditions, and exacerbated pressure on natural resources. This phenomenon is particularly marked in the poorest areas of the country, where demographic pressure has negative effects on basic services.
Environ 70,000 Syrian refugees reside in the municipalities of 62 Municipalities’ Union (UdM) of Tire (200,000 inhabitants before the crisis), causing an increase of between 16% and 43%.
The amount of produced Urban Solid Waste (RSU) has grown by 40% worsening an already critical situation. Given the inadequacy of treatment units and landfills, waste is scattered in nature or burnt and illegal landfills are multiplying. The proposed intervention area is served by the Ain Baal Settlement Unit, whose current operational capacities are insufficient for (i) lack of waste triage at source (ii) poor waste management capacity of the Unit and 63% of the waste are directed to illegal landfills, increasing the cost of the service for the municipalities and the impact on natural resources (forests and groundwater). A World Bank-funded infrastructure project to increase its operational capacity begun in August 2017. To optimize its operation, however, it is necessary to intervene in the upstream chains: separation of waste at source, rationalization of collection and transport. At institutional level, individual municipalities are responsible for urban hygiene and environmental management. The costs for collecting RSU since 2011 due to the increase in the population, have increased by 40%. Hygiene conditions have deteriorated along with pressure on environmental resources and access to running water is inadequate with only 50% of households having connections with an average availability of 8 hours of water/day) with considerable risk of transferable diseases. On the other hand, municipal taxation is almost non-existent due to (i) mediocre quality of the services offered, resulting in mistrust of citizenship, (ii) population poverty, (iii) poor organizational and managerial skills, (iv) inefficiency of debt recovery.
The main objective of the project is: Contributing to the improvement of the quality of life, hygiene conditions and the management of the environment in the Union of Tire
The three expected results are:
1) 15000 inhabitants of Tiro improve their hygienic-environmental conditions through a separate collection system
2) 8 municipalities of the Union adopt an integrated RSU management system, improving hygienic-environmental conditions
3) Ain Baal's Sorting and Recycling Unit improves its management system and guarantees a quality service at 36 municipalities
General purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is twofold:
- In coordination and under the supervision of the Program Coordinator, the Solid Waste Management (SWM) Project Manager AICS (Italian cooperation) is responsible of the efficient and smooth implementation of the activities of AICS-SWM Project that INTERSOS is implementing in the South Lebanon. She/he will be responsible for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all the project’s related activities.
- Under the supervision of the Head of mission, s/he will be responsible for the base management and general coordination. S/he will notably be responsible for the external representation for the area, the security management, to ensure a smooth functioning of the admin and logistical department, and the supervision of the team.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Define and update project strategies, tools and work plans appropriate to the local context;
- Guarantee the proper planning, implementation, monitoring all the project activities;
- Ensure that the program is implemented on time and in a cohesive and integrated manner;
- Ensure compliance with INTERSOS administrative and logistical procedures;
- In collaboration with the admin department, ensure the budget management (financial plan, budget follow up…) according to the agreed budget;
- Redact of the management tools according to INTERSOS internal procedures and AICS procedures: PAT, Financial Plan, reports.
- Lead and Coordinate the cleaning campaign and the recycling campaign;
- Coordinate with the Hygiene Promotion Department all the related awareness activities;
- Lead and coordinate the Communication activities of the project in coordination with the other on-going projects;
- Coordinate with the project’s Engineer for the implementation of the infrastructure works foreseen in the project by ensuring that are in line with the set plan and implemented in a timely manner;
- Coordinate and participate to the Tender Dossier Redaction;
- Coordinate and participate to the drafting of tender documents, to the collection and to the evaluation of the bids; she/he is responsible of the supervision of the correct application of the procurement procedure.
- In collaboration with the HR department, responsible for the team management including: recruitment management, mentoring follow up, appraisal, capacity building, etc.;
- Coordinate and supervise the project’s staff work on the field.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with local technical counterparts, national and international partners;
- Participate in community consultations on SWM in order to better identify the communities’ needs;
- Work closely with the Municipalities, community leaders, local authorities and Technical Partners to ensure that activities are implemented as per work plan and ensure participation and good relations;
- Coordinate and supervise the revision and the implementation of the solid waste management systems/plans in each municipality;
- Coordinate and supervise the distribution of the SWM tools and equipment to local municipalities;
- Coordinate the project partners’ activities and their use of the allocated budget;
- Coordinate the missions of the international project’s partner;
- Organize and lead the round tables with the Municipalities and Civil Society Representatives;
- Coordinate the staff training, helping to build technical capacity of staff, operators and partners in the area of SWM.
- Participate to the Program meeting, the sector meetings at local and national level, and the meeting with local authorities;
- Actively coordinate with other stakeholders in SWM sector in South Lebanon;
- Participate to the INTERSOS South Programme Coordination Meetings and other technical meetings, if requested.
- Redact the project reports using the appropriate tools and templates and the project’s budget revision/amendment, if needed.
Perform other related duties to support the project team and the project implementation process, upon request of the Program Coordinator.
Head of base role
- Represents INTERSOS in the South towards stakeholders;
- Ensure a proper coordination on the base for a smooth functioning (regular base meeting);
- Facilitate the coordination between projects, admin and logistical.
Is part of the coordination team and attend the monthly national coordination meetings in Beirut
Bachelor’s degree in SWM/WASH/Environmental Engineering/Agriculture, International Development, or similar fields is highly desirable.
- A least three (3) years of management experience in the development sector, including at least two (2) years of experience in managing SWM or economic recovery programming; or experience in integrated program development and management;
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible supervisory work experience including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams and consortium and working on multi-faceted international development programs;
- Good experience in M&E and report writing;
- Experience working with international partners and local institutions and local actors, including local Municipalities, local NGOs and CSOs/CBOs;
- Experience in Mass Media Communication and/or Awareness Campaign is an asset.
- Strong project management and planning skills: (re)assessments, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, with good skills in managing related data analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization;
- Knowledge of participatory approaches and tools to community planning, monitoring and evaluation Strong MS Office skills, including Word, Excel and Power Point.- Previous experience with INTERSOS is an asset.
- Fluency in Italian and English is required;
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Demonstrate ability in thinking creatively and practically to improve the quality of projects and problem solving;
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, presentation and communication skills;
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance;
- Willingness and physical ability to perform field missions in rural areas if needed;
- Ability to delegate and work in team;
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD);
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to email@example.com , with subject line: "SR-34-754 – Head of Base-Solid Waste Management Project Manager - Lebanon".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.