Project Manager – Health and Nutrition – Afghanistan
Personne de Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date limite de candidature: 20/11/2018
Type d'offre: Contrat à durée déterminée
Volume de travail: Temps plein
Fonction: Gestion de projet
Lieu de l'emploi: Kandahar
Job Title: Project Manager – Health and Nutrition
Duty station: Kandahar
Starting date: 17/12/2018
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Base
Supervision of: Medical Activity Manager
General context of the project
The project’s general objective is to contribute to the reduction of maternal, child and trauma related morbidity and mortality associated with diseases and hazards resulting from deficient (or non-existing) health services, and poor environmental health conditions in conflict-affected communities. This intervention is part of an integrated multi-sectorial humanitarian response plan for Kandahar Province to be implemented by INTERSOS in 2018/2019 in order to address the dire basic needs of and provide essential services for (documented and undocumented) Afghani Returnees (Pakistan) and IDPs, in addition to Afghani conflict affected (host) communities.
The project will contribute to improved access to essential life-saving trauma care, emergency primary health care and nutrition services. The project activities will focus on training of staff and health workers to ensure better outreach and to enhance quality of service provision with the creation of new basic clinics, community awareness campaigns to improve prevention and health seeking behavior (self-referral), especially but not exclusively for pre- and post-natal care, safe delivery, nutrition; procurement of supplies, drugs and kits for the provision of first aid and Emergency PHC services.
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager will be in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the project; "Emergency health and nutrition response in 3 hard to reach, conflict-affected districts in Kandahar province”.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description.
- Guarantee an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
- Team management and project integration,
- Deliver quality project activities reporting.
Ensure the full and timely implementation of the project proposal as approved, pro-actively respecting deadlines for reporting:
- Team recruitment, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files.
- Prepare and organize training for volunteers and teams.
- Project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams.
- Review and prepare a detailed activities plan with team.
- Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines.
- Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries.
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to.
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery.
- Ensure security assessment for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a pro-active manner to the Head of Mission and Security Focal point.
Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan.
- Prepare weekly liquidity plan.
- Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations.
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period.
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented, in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department.
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports.
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness.
Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff.
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period.
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team.
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors.
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data.
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff.
- Establish a participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion.
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
- Ensure good practice and system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with other INTERSOS programmes/project staff.
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files.
- Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values.
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries.
- Applying a result-oriented approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project.
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
- Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS’ PAT reporting tool.
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: Prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming. Reporting must at all times be gender and age disaggregated.
- Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents.
- Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets.
Coordination and representation:
- Attend the relevant cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to HoB/HoM.
- Ensure regular updates to donor representatives.
- Coordinate with relevant line-ministries and assure the timely submission of reports to Ministry of Economy for the implementation of the project.
- Support INTERSOS with the implementation of the Country Strategy, in particular for the development of specific and detailed sector strategies.
- Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Afghanistan. Proactively participate in cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for Afghanistan, also relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings at national level.
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the HoB / HOM and other programme staff.
- Coordinate with other INTERSOS projects/sectors in Kandahar for effective and efficient referral of cases between INTERSOS projects/sectors.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Hold an advanced degree in social science or any related field. Medical degree is an asset.
- At least 2 years of direct professional experience working as project manager on humanitarian project/programme, including financial management responsibilities.
- Prior work experience in INGO in humanitarian project management.
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement.
- Admin, finance and budget management skills.
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting.
- Strong representation and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must).
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management models.
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems.
- Readiness and ability to move around in Afghanistan.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity.
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active).
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient).
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management.
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Practical and problem-solver.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to email@example.com , with subject line: "SR-28-772 – Project Manager Health and Nutrition - Afghanistan".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.