Medical Coordinator – Iraq
Personne de Contact: email@example.com
Date limite de candidature: 24/01/2019
Type d'offre: Contrat à durée déterminée
Volume de travail: Temps plein
Fonction: Gestion de projet, Santé
Lieu de l'emploi: Erbil, with constant and regular presence in field locations
Job Title: Medical Coordinator
Duty station: Erbil, with constant and regular presence in field locations
Starting date: 01/04/2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Hierarchical: Head of Mission - Technical: HQ Medical Unit
Supervision of: N/A
Dependents: Non family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS had been working in Iraq from 2003 till 2010 with programs aimed to respond to urgent material safety needs and enhancing access to basic social services for vulnerable individuals and communities in Central and Southern Iraq, Baghdad and Kurdistan. Following the conflict in the Syrian Arab Republic and the deterioration of the humanitarian situation which is negatively affecting also the neighboring countries, in November 2013 INTERSOS has resumed the operations in the area to contribute towards ensuring emergency relief and social protection assistance for the Syrian refugees fleeing their home in search of safety. Following military operations to retake the control of Ninewa, Salah EdDin and Anbar governorates, in 2017, INTERSOS directly engaged, in providing humanitarian assistance and relief to those Internally Displaced (IDPs) during the conflict in Ninewa and Salah EdDin Governorates. INTERSOS currently concentrates its interventions in the sectors of health, Protection and Education in Emergencies (EiE).
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, strengthening and implementing the medical strategy of the mission and to support the Mission's efforts to ensure integrated health and protection approaches and interventions. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the INTERSOS country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved
- Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
- Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Coordinate with the Medical Referent for the validation of the project proposals he/her designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
- Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects. Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
- Responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting to HQ Medical Referent to ensure a proper monitoring of the program and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs
Advanced university degree in medicine or other paramedical studies. Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health.
Minimum 3 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Strategic vision
- Service orientation
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
Fluent in English mandatory; italian and/or arabic an asset.
- Leadership, people management and development
- Strong teamwork and cooperation capacities
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with subject line: "SR-29-896 - Medical Coordinator – Iraq".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.